|Subtitled 'From Plans To Launching'.
A more comprehensive text than 'Metal Boats, but limited to steel and aimed at both amateurs and professionals.
The texts cover the construction of leisure and commercial craft in the 25 feet (approx. 8 metres) to 80 feet (approx, 25 metres) range.
Part 1 covers the hull and decks, chapters include,
• Plans for Steel Vessels
• Steel Boat Building Equipment
• Basic Scantlings
• Transverse and Longitudinal Strength
• Estimating Costs
• Lofting and Template Making
• Keels, Framing and Tanks
• Making the Parts
• The Building Ways and Basic Setup
• Framing Up
• Cabin Trunks, Railcap, and Welding
• Miscellaneous Steel Parts
• Interior Welding Details
Part 2 covers the remainder of the process, including joinery, machinery installation, rigging and launching.
• Insulation, Heating, and Refrigeration
• Joinery Work
• Masts, Spars and Rigging
• Life Rafts, Boats, and Dinghies
• Ballast and Ballasting
• Painting and Finishing
• Alternative Methods, Alterations and Formulae
• Boat Building as a Business
• Vessels in Commerce
Glossary and Index.